Kenshi Yonezu rules this week’s Billboard Japan Hot 100 dated June 3 to June 9 with “Spirits of the Sea,” the theme song of the animated movie Children of the Sea. The latest single by the “Lemon” hitmaker topped downloads with 134,911 units and led the radio airplay metric as well. The song also came in at No. 2 for video views and No. 4 for Twitter mentions, taking the No. 1 spot on the Japan Hot 100 with no physical sales points.
Masaki Suda’s “Machigaisagashi,” written and produced by Yonezu, jumps 8-2 this week. The actor/singer’s drama theme leads video views with 5,711,130 weekly plays, just barely topping “Spirits of the Sea” (5,707,266 views) in what could be described as Yonezu’s race against himself. “Machigaisagashi” showed strength in the the digital metrics of the chart’s methodology, coming in at No. 2 for streaming and downloads, No. 7 for Twitter, No. 39 for radio, and No. 40 for karaoke.
Official HIGE DANdism’s “Pretender” holds “Machigaisagashi” at bay in streaming, ruling the metric for the third week in a row. Figures continue to increase, with streams rising to 4,614,979 from last week’s 4,259,716, and the music video racking up 2,796,767 views from last week’s 2,523,944 (No. 6). Points in karaoke, Twitter, and look-ups are on the rise as well, keeping the song steady at No. 4 on the Japan Hot 100.
Two songs that have been fixtures in the top 10 for weeks - Aimyon’s “Marigold” and Yonezu’s “Lemon” - appear to be losing steam. “Marigold” loses points in every metric except look-ups, while “Lemon” slips in all but three (radio, karaoke, look-ups). A new crop of songs are changing the top 10 lineup, with “Spirits of the Sea,” “Machigaisagashi,” and “Pretender” having potential to join the next wave of long hits on the song chart.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, as well as dHits and Uta Pass, and karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Spirits of the Sea Music Video
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated June 3 to June 9)
1.  Spirits of the Sea / Kenshi Yonezu (none / 134,911 downloads / none)
2.  Machigaisagashi / Masaki Suda (none / 46,267 downloads / 3,425,494 streams)
3. [-] Aruhi Negai ga Kanattanda / V6 (93,880 copies / none / none)
4.  Pretender / Official HIGE DANdism (1,638 copies / 17,657 downloads / 4,614,979 streams)
5.  Remember Me / MAN WITH A MISSION (33,138 copies / 22,523 downloads / 1,300,443 streams)
6. [-] Gomen,, Hanashitakunai / MAG!C☆PRINCE (84,684 copies / none / none)
7. [-] “Hitori de Ikiraresou” tte Sorette ne, Hometeiruno? / Juice=Juice (72,914 copies / 3,877 downloads / none)
8.  Sing Out! / Nogizaka46 (45,309 copies / 4,980 downloads / 873,577 streams)
9.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 10,859 downloads / 3,211,918 streams)
10.  Lemon / Kenshi Yonezu (2,261 copies / 16,171 downloads / none)
[ ]: Position last week.
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only)
Text: Billboard JAPAN / Photo: Tomokazu Yamada