King & Prince’s third single “Kimi wo Matteru” debuts at No. 1 on the Billboard Japan Hot 100 dated Apr. 1 to 7, selling 400,315 copies during its first week. The up-and-coming six-member Johnny’s boy band dominates three metrics of the chart’s methodology: physical sales (number of CDs sold), look-ups (number of times a song is ripped to a computer) and Twitter mentions (number of tweets with both song title and artist name in them).
Last week’s No. 1 song, Hinatazaka46’s “Kyun,” drops a notch to No. 2 this week. The debut single by the girl group formerly known as Hiragana Keyaki continues to perform well in streaming (No. 11, up to 1,067,198 plays from last week’s 951,869) and video views (No. 37, slightly down to 965,302 times from last week’s 975,941), which helped the song remain in the top 3.
Golden Bomber’s “Reiwa” debuts at No. 6 on the Japan Hot 100, beating two long-running hits - - Aimyon’s “Marigold” and Kenshi Yonezu’s “Lemon” - - to rule video views this week with 5,229,534 views. The J-pop entertainment group created quite a buzz by releasing the music video for the song with the name of the new imperial era as its title an hour after it was officially announced on Apr. 1. The song also did well in Twitter (No. 2) and downloads (No. 5)
back number’s “HAPPY BIRTHDAY” logs its sixth week at No. 1 for downloads. Although physical sales for the song is on its way down, the song stays in the top ten of the Japan Hot 100 assisted by radio (No. 7), look-ups (No. 3), and karaoke (No. 5). The pop-rock trio also ruled the Japan Hot Albums chart for the second week in a row with their new album MAGIC.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, as well as dHits and Uta Pass, and karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated Apr. 1 to 7)
1. [-] Kimi wo Matteru / King & Prince (400,315 copies / none / none)
2.  Kyun / Hinatazaka46 (36,831 copies / 8,889 downloads / 1,067,198 streams)
3.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 18,666 downloads / 3,551,956 streams)
4.  Lemon / Kenshi Yonezu (3,316 copies / 26,714 downloads / none)
5. [-] Flying Fish / FANTASTICS from EXILE TRIBE (42,625 copies / none / none)
6. [-] Reiwa / Golden Bomber (none / 18,329 downloads / none)
7.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY / back number (none / 30,646 downloads / none)
8.  Harunohi / Aimyon (none / 29,624 downloads / 1,156,889 streams)
9. [-] We are Hi☆Five / Hi☆Five (49,202 copies / none / none)
10.  Stand by you / SKE48 (49,163 copies / none / none)
[ ]: Position last week.
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only).
Text: Billboard JAPAN / Photo: Courtesy Photo