J-pop girl group AKB48’s new single “Jiwaru Days” rules the latest Billboard Japan Hot 100 dated Mar. 11 to 17, with over 1.4 million copies sold in its first week. The single featuring departing member Rino Sashihara sold 1,404,936 CDs during the chart week, exceeding first-week sales for the group’s previous single “NO WAY MAN” (1,350,736 copies).
“Jiwaru Days” leads physical sales this week and takes the top spot on the Japan Hot 100 powered mostly by this metric. The song comes in at No. 3 for look-ups, No. 6 for Twitter mentions, No. 25 for downloads, and No. 29 for radio airplay.
The Japanese male vocal and dance group Sandaime J Soul Brothers from EXILE TRIBE released its first single in a year and a half after members spent the better part of last year working on solo projects. “Yes we are” bows at No. 2 on the Japan Hot 100, racking up points in a balanced way: No. 2 for physical sales with 63,732 copies sold, No. 2 for Twitter, No. 3 for downloads, No. 5 for streaming and look-ups, No. 9 for video views, and No. 10 for radio.
Rock band BUMP OF CHICKEN debuts at No. 5 with “Aurora,” the theme song of the TBS drama The Good Wife, a Japanese remake of the Emmy-winning American TV series executive produced by Ridley Scott. The popular pop-rockers ruled downloads this week and broke into the top 5 fueled by this metric.
back number’s “HAPPY BIRTHDAY” slips a notch to No. 6 on the Japan Hot 100 but is still going strong, dethroning Keyakizaka46’s “Kuroi Hitsuji” in look-ups and coming in at No. 2 for downloads this week.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, streaming counts based on lyrics displayed on PetitLyrics, and karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated Mar. 11 to 17)
1.  Jiwaru Days / AKB48 (1,404,936 copies / 5,200 downloads / none)
2. [-] Yes we are / Sandaime J Soul Brothers from EXILE TRIBE (63,732 copies / 27,761 downloads / 1,527,997 streams)
3.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 19,753 downloads / 3,696,674 streams)
4.  Lemon / Kenshi Yonezu (4,651 copies / 25,211 downloads / none)
5. [-] Aurora / BUMP OF CHICKEN (none / 71,892 downloads / none)
6.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY / back number (2,812 copies / 47,720 downloads / none)
7.  Kuroi Hitsuji / Keyakizaka46 (34,420 copies / 5,091 downloads / 1,161,951 streams)
8.  Hakujitsu / King Gnu (none / 17,913 downloads / 2,349,210 streams)
9.  Sakura / DA PUMP (10,966 copies / 12,073 downloads / 737,890 streams)
10.  Konya Konomama / Aimyon (none / 3,686 downloads / 1,960,309 streams)
[ ]: Position last week.
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only).
Text: Billboard JAPAN / Photo: (C) You, Be Cool! / KING RECORDS