J-pop boy band Kanjani 8’s “crystal” blasts in at No. 1 on this week’s Billboard Japan Hot 100 dated Mar. 4 to 10, powered mainly by physical sales with 221,496 CDs sold in its first week. The latest release by the popular Johnny’s group came in at No. 3 for look-ups, No. 22 for Twitter mentions, and No. 48 for radio airplay.
Keyakizaka46’s “Kuroi Hitsuji” drops a notch to No. 2 on the Japan Hot 100, still going strong in physical sales (No. 2 with 69,451 copies sold) and leading look-ups this week. The song maintains momentum in streaming (No. 5, up to 1,577,782 streams from 1,540,613 last week) and video views (No. 16, up to 1,477,117 times from 1,268,230 last week), while also coming in at No. 6 for Twitter and No. 15 for downloads.
Aimyon’s “Marigold” holds at No. 3 for the third consecutive week, leading streaming for 10 weeks. The long-running hit by the 23-year-old singer-songwriter also rules video views for the third week, with counts up approximately 750,000 times to 6,591,455 views from last week’s 5,838,980.
DA PUMP’s new single “Sakura” enters the top 10 as if to switch places with its previous mega-hit single “U.S.A.,” which dropped out of the top 10 only two weeks ago after staying for 37 weeks in a row, 19 of them in the top 3.
“Sakura” is at No. 6 for physical sales and is off to a better start than “U.S.A.,” which peaked at No. 8 for the metric. However, “Sakura” currently sits at No. 59 for streaming and needs to up its game in this department for it to rival its predecessor in terms of chart performance. The group has been promoting the song extensively to coincide with the coming cherry blossom (“sakura”) season, so it remains to be seen if it can join the ranks of Japan’s popular spring staples.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, streaming counts based on lyrics displayed on PetitLyrics, and karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated Mar. 3 to 10)
1. [-] crystal / Kanjani 8 (221,496 copies / none / none)
2.  Kuroi Hitsuji / Keyakizaka46 (69,451 copies / 10,269 downloads / 1,577,782 streams)
3.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 17,994 downloads / 3,646,938 streams)
4.  Lemon / Kenshi Yonezu (4,142 copies / 24,220 downloads / none)
5.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY / back number (4,512 copies / 55,449 downloads / none)
6.  Again / WANIMA (33,174 copies / 20,352 downloads / none)
7.  Sakura / DA PUMP (23,967 copies / 233,374 downloads / none)
8.  Hakujitsu / King Gnu (none / 16,312 downloads / 2,340,174 streams)
9. [-] Eureka / Soraru (36,385 copies / none / none)
10.  Kaerimichi wa Toomawari Shitakunaru / Nogizaka46 (29,575 copies / none / 661,007 streams)
[ ]: Position last week.
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only).
Text: Billboard JAPAN / Photo: Courtesy Photo