J-pop girl group STU48's 2nd single "Kaze wo Matsu" bows atop the latest Billboard Japan Hot 100 dated Feb. 11 to 17. With 302,533 copies sold, the AKB48 sister group doubled the sales of its previous single "Kurayami," coming in at No. 1 on the physical sales metric, as well as No. 2 in Twitter mentions, No.4 in look-ups --which counts the number of times a CD is ripped to a computer-- and No. 12 in airplay.
News of Kenshi Yonezu's music video "Lemon" reaching 300 million views going viral helped raise the song 4-2 this week, with the song's increased media coverage boosts it to the No. 1 spot in Twitter mentions. The song dominates five out of eight metrics including downloads, look-ups, video views and karaoke.
Both launching highly anticipated new albums last week, singer-songwriter Aimyon and rock band ONE OK ROCK, two acts who are at the forefront of a turnaround for the rise in streaming powered hits, went head to head this week, with the latter topping the "Hot Albums" chart.
The two artists continue to accumulate points mainly through streaming, in fact, their songs dominated 9 of the Top 10 spots on the streaming metric this week and their rising popularity is proof that music listeners in Japan are steadily adapting to streaming.
Aimyon's streaming counts grew significantly as 13 of her songs landed on the Hot 100 with the breakout single "Marigold" drawing 3,335,195 streams, up almost 1 million from 2,600,045 streams last week. The song keeps as No. 5 as her "Konya Konomama" is also stationary at No. 8 with 2,326,931 streams, up from 1,961,906 streams last week.
ONE OK ROCK's melodic banger Wasted Nights, which increased its streams from 1,405,914 to 1,601,637 streams this week, is down 6-7 as 6 songs from the rock quartet new album Eye of the Storm hit the Hot 100.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, Recochoku provided by Gfk Japan, streaming counts based on lyrics displayed on PetitLyrics, and karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated Feb. 11 to 17)
1. [-] Kaze wo Matsu / STU48 (302,533 copies / none / none)
2.  Lemon / Kenshi Yonezu (6,233 copies / 28,670 downloads / none)
3. [-] Bitansan / Juice=Juice (93,112 copies / 2,661 downloads / none)
4. [-] Reason / Tomohisa Yamashita (72,890 copies / none / none)
5.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 12,545 downloads / 3,335,195 streams)
6. [-] COSMO / PENTAGON (52,812 copies / none / none)
7.  Wasted Nights / ONE OK ROCK (none / 3,644 downloads / 1,601,637 streams)
8.  Konya Konomama / Aimyon (none / none / 2,326,931 streams)
9.  Suki to Iwasetai / IZ*ONE (8,393 copies / 3,646 downloads / 605,862 streams)
10.  U.S.A. / DA PUMP (none / 3,313 downloads / 904,427 streams)
[ ]: Position last week.
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only).
Kaze wo Matsu Music Video
Text: Billboard JAPAN / Photo: Courtesy Photo