Kenshi Yonezu’s “Lemon” holds the top spot on the latest Billboard Japan Hot 100 chart dated Jan. 21 to 27, extending its No. 1 streak to five weeks in a row and seven in all. The song continues to dominate three metrics (downloads, video views, and karaoke), down from last week’s five, ceding look-ups and Twitter mentions to new releases but still performing well enough to stay atop the chart.
This week’s No. 1 song for look-ups, or the number of times a CD is ripped to a computer, is “Bokura no Hashittekita Michi wa…” by Aqours, which debuts at No. 2 on the Japan Hot 100. The latest song by the girl group comprised of voice actors also leads physical sales with 79,528 copies sold, but falls short in other metrics.
The most-tweeted song this week is Keyakizaka46’s “Kuroi Hitsuji,” which was made available for radio airplay recently. The song bows on the Japan Hot 100 at No. 33.
While “Lemon” has logged its 50th week on the Japan Hot 100 and continues to enjoy lasting popularity, it’s definitely slowing down. Figure-wise, physical sales are down to 9,272 from last week’s 11,481 copies and video views are down to 7,311,168 from 8,940,748 times.
Meanwhile, Aimyon’s charting songs are still going strong in the streaming department and she also has a new album coming out in February. The “Marigold” singer-songwriter is expected to begin promoting the album in the coming weeks, which will probably help maintain, or even boost, her streams. Depending on how other songs perform in physical sales and downloads, she has a chance to dominate the upper ranks of the song chart.
Hikaru Utada and Skrillex’s “Face My Fears” comes in at No. 3 on the Japan Hot 100 after jumping 9-1 for radio airplay, 33-6 for streaming, and rising a notch to No. 2 for downloads. The song also bowed at No. 98 on the latest Billboard Hot 100 for the week of Feb. 2, marking Utada’s first entry into the Hot 100, while also making her the first Japanese artist in three years to hit the chart since Pikotaro’s “PPAP.”
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, Recochoku provided by Gfk Japan, streaming counts based on lyrics displayed on PetitLyrics, and karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated Jan. 21 to 27)
1.  Lemon / Kenshi Yonezu (9,272 copies / 38,578 downloads / none)
2. [-] Bokura no Hashittekita Michi wa… / Aqours (79,528 copies / 10,404 downloads / none)
3.  Face My Fears / Hikaru Utada & Skrillex (7,250 copies / 23,173 downloads / 1,164,608 streams)
4.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 10,731 downloads / 2,675,328 streams)
5.  Over "Quartzer” / Shuta Sueyoshi feat. ISSAP (28,401 copies / 9,805 downloads / none)
6.  U.S.A. / DA PUMP (1,305 copies / 4,970 downloads / 1,120,597 streams)
7.  Konya Konomama / Aimyon (none / 4,924 downloads / 2,154,844 streams)
8.  Flamingo / Kenshi Yonezu (1,943 copies / 13,528 downloads / none)
9.  I beg you / Aimer (5,764 copies / 17,407 downloads / none)
10.  Blizzard / Daichi Miura (none / 4,166 downloads / 638,569 streams)
[ ]: Position last week.
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only).
Text: Billboard JAPAN / Photo: Getty Images Entertainment