Kenshi Yonezu’s reign over the Billboard Japan Hot 100 continues as “Lemon” leads for the third consecutive week and fifth total frame on the chart dated Jan. 7 to 13. Although individual figures for some metrics have decreased - - for example downloads down by about half to 70,837 from last week’s 146,075 units and video views down by a million to 10,411,107 from 11,005,665 views - - the track continues to rule five metrics this week: downloads, video views, look-ups, Twitter mentions, and karaoke.
Yonezu currently has eight songs charting on the Japan Hot 100, all without streaming points. While he apparently has no immediate plans to do so at the moment, if he ever decides to make his catalog available on streaming platforms this year, “Lemon” could very well top the year-end listing for the second year straight.
Aimer bows at No. 2 this week with “I beg you,” the theme of the animated movie Fate/stay night [Heaven’s Feel] II. lost butterfly. Although the J-pop singer’s latest single led the physical sales metric with 30,542 copies sold, it was unable to overtake “Lemon” due to its lack of momentum in video views and radio airplay.
J-pop streaming phenom Aimyon now has eight songs charting on the Japan Hot 100, with “Marigold” (staying at No. 3) and “Konya Konomama” (rising 7-6) remaining in the top 10. Streams for both tracks have increased from last week, while her other songs on the tally continue to accumulate points mainly through streaming and video views, with downloads and karaoke added into the mix.
Streaming and video views have also boosted eight Queen classics into the Japan Hot 100, reflecting the massive hit of the band’s Bohemian Rhapsody biopic that is now officially the top-grossing movie of 2018 in Japan. The charting of these songs by Aimyon and Queen demonstrates the new but growing trend of hits being launched through streaming in Japan.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups and audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, Recochoku provided by Gfk Japan, streaming counts based on lyrics displayed on PetitLyrics, and karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated Jan. 7 to 13)
1.  Lemon / Kenshi Yonezu (15,092 copies / 70,837 downloads / none)
2. [-] I beg you / Aimer (30,542 copies / 69,753 downloads / none)
3.  Marigold / Aimyon (752 copies / 16,017 downloads / 2,912,680 streams)
4.  U.S.A. / DA PUMP (2,229 copies / 8,282 downloads / 1,437,524 streams)
5.  Flamingo / Kenshi Yonezu (2,937 copies / 20,220 downloads / none)
6.  Konya Konomama / Aimyon (none / 7,079 downloads / 2,387,120 streams)
7.  Boku No Koto / Mrs. GREEN APPLE (11,283 copies / 6,458 downloads / 810,858 streams)
8.  Ai No Katachi feat. HIDE (GReeeeN) / MISIA (1,259 copies / 14,589 downloads / 1,565,077 streams)
9. [-] Egao No Loop / AAA (19,521 copies / 3,616 downloads / 452,238 streams)
10.  Blizzard / Daichi Miura (988 copies / 5,485 downloads / 725,457 streams)
[ ]: Position last week.
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only).
Text: Billboard JAPAN / Photo: Redferns